- Diamondback proprietary All Mountain 29’er Aluminum Frame
- 29” diameter wheels for navigating larger obstacles
- Hydraulic disc brakes for premier stopping power
- Rockshox Sektor Silver front fork to conquer trail obstacles
- 1 × 10 drivetrain gearing to get you where you need to go
As 29ers become ever more prevalent, many companies are exploring how far they can take it. Geometry limits to some degree the direction some might go with this, and thus has led to a wide variety of XC oriented 29ers but not much more. For us riders here in the northwest, we needed a 29inch offering that was a little bit more capable. Enter the Mason All Mountain hardtail. This rig is slack and low slung – meant for today’s shredder who wants to pedal up but charge down with aggressiveness.
The 2014 Mason features an All Mountain 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum frame with a formed top tube, a formed and butted down tube, a tapered head tube, a direct mount front derailleur mount, ISCG tabs and a 142×12mm Maxle drop out.
Loading up the front end is a ROCKSHOX Sektor 29 Silver with 140 mm of Travel, a 15mm Maxle, Solo Air, external rebound adj. w/turnkey lockout, Magnesium Lowers, and an Alloy 1.5 Tapered Steerer Tube. This also lends to a slack, 66.5 degree head angle. Combine this with 433mm/ 17.05? long chain stays and you can clearly see where this is going. This keeps the bike maneuverable, easy to manipulate in downhill and aired out sections, and easier to get the front end of the bike up with the slack head angle. Because the long travel fork lifts the front end of the bike up pretty high, we designed a formed, low top tube for better clearance over the bike.
32h AM290, 29” double wall disc specific rims are laced to sealed cartridge bearing hubs and SRAM MAXLEQR for a stout yet light weight wheelset. AVID DB1 Hydraulic Disc brakes with 180mm front & 160mm rear G2 rotors offer more than enough power to stop when and where you see fit.
Benefits of a 29” wheel are pretty apparent:
- Angle of Attack – Larger wheels decrease your angle of attack by allowing you to roll over obstacles easier and faster. Bigger wheel = smaller obstacle.
- Momentum – A larger wheel enables one to carry momentum easier though obstacles.
- Surface Contact – 29”wheels are less prone to sinking in soft material such as sand and mud due to the larger contact patch causing lower ground pressure. The longer contact patch increases cornering and straight line traction
- Stability – The relative position of the bottom bracket/cranks to the axles in the wheels also means that your relative center of gravity is lower. This results in a feeling of riding “in” the bike rather than on top of it.
- Tire Clearance – with more tire choices than any platform, the 29”wheel easily accommodates off road as well as commuting tires.
- Taller Riders – 29″ bikes tend to offer taller riders a more “natural” frame geometry.
The drivetrain sells itself with a RACEFACE Ride w/ NEW Narrow-Wide 32t single ring – 10 spd crankset and a Raceface outboard bearing bottom bracket. Combine this with a SRAM X-5, Mid Cage 10spd rear derailleur and trigger shifter, and a SRAM PG-1030 10spd Cassette (11-36t) and you have a minimalist approach with a variety of options to get you up the hill with ease.
Get a feel for the cockpit with our customized DB 6061 Aluminum 3D forged stem with DB ProBar Handlebars, a 30.9mm Alloy DB Seatpost with Micro Adjust action, and the DB MASON Signature saddle; all systems go for launch.
With all of the new 29ers on the market, isn’t it great to know that our gravity oriented friend can play too?
The 2014 Mason comes in a Raw White paint scheme as a complete bike in four sizes: SM (15.5″), MD (17″), LG (19″), XL (21″).
|Sizes||15.5″ Small 17″ Medium 19″ Large 21″ XLarge|
|Frame||Mason 29″ All Mountain 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/formed Top Tube, Butted / Formed Down Tube / Seatstays, Tapered Head Tube, ISCG, 142x12mm Maxle Drop out|
|Fork||ROCKSHOX Sektor 29 Silver, 140 mm Travel, 15mm Maxle, Solo Air, external rebound adj. w/turnkey lockout, Magnesium Lowers, Alloy 1.5 Tapered Steerer Tube|
|Cranks||RACEFACE Ride w/ NEW Narrow-Wide 32T single ring|
|Bottom Bracket||Raceface BB|
|F. Derailleur||MRP 1X – D mount chain guide|
|R. Derailleur||SRAM X-5, Mid Cage, 10spd|
|Shifter||SRAM X-5 10spd trigger|
|Brake Levers||AVID DB1 Hydraulic Levers w/ Tooled Reach Adj.|
|Brakes||AVID DB1 Hydraulic Disc w/ 180mm Front & 160mm Rear G2 Rotors|
|Cassette||SRAM PG-1030 10spd Cassette (11-36t)|
|Rims||32h AM290, 29″ Doublewall Disc|
|Tires||KENDA Nevegal 29×2.2 frt / Slant 6 29×2.0 rear, Folding|
|Pedals||DB Sound Alloy w/ molded traction pins|
|Handlebar||DB ProBar 740mm width 31.8mm Mid Rise|
|Stem||DB AL6061 3D forge 31.8, 50mm ext. 7degree rise|
|Seatpost||DB SL309p Alloy Micro Adjust 30.9mm|
|Seat||DB MASON Signature saddle|
|Headset||FSA No57 Taper 1.5 / 1 1/8″ Alloy cups, Sealed Cartridge|
|Chain||SRAM PC-1031 Power Link – Gold|
|Hubset||(F) 32h 15mm thru axle, Alloy, sealed cartridge bearing Disc (R) 32h 142×12 sealed cartridge bearing, 12mm thru axle, Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount, w/ Sram MAXLE QR|
|Spokes||14g Stainless Steel|
|Grips||DB4L 135mm Kraton|
|Extras||Owner’s manual, Chainstay Protector, H20 bottle mounts|
|Note||Specifications Subject to Change|
|Size||15.5″ Small||17″ Medium||19″ Large||21″ XLarge|
|Seat Tube Length **||15.5″||17.0″||19.0″||21.0″|
|Top Tube Length *||22.5″||23.7″||24.4″||25.3″|
|Head Tube Length||110.0mm||110.0mm||110.0mm||110.0mm|
|Chain Stay Length||433.0mm||433.0mm||433.0mm||433.0mm|
|Seat Post Length||350.0mm||350.0mm||350.0mm||350.0mm|
* Measured Horizontally